Monday, August 31, 2009

So Long and Thanks for All the Pig.

It need to write a post summing up my time in Deutschland and this title loosely borrowed from Douglas Adams seemed a fitting tribute. So, as I find time, I will be uploading bits and pieces of this post, which will also be recorded for poserity in a beautiful book a friend of mine gave me for Christmas. So, here goes:

Dear Germany,

Ideas to Expand On:

Things I Loved: Trains, Walks, Urban Design, Institutes, Coffee, Ice Cream, the Rhine, Friday Night Beer, Biergartens, Cabbage, Travel, Learning something of a new language, Reading, Music, Cobblestones, Holidays, Alps, Chocolate, West Germany, Berlin, Good Friends, Local Schnapps.

Things that were Hard: Formalism, Pronouncing 'ch' as 'sch', switching the 'y' and 'z' on the keyboard, Loneliness, some remnants of cultural superiority, dealing with a recent tragic past, Bavaria, Local Schnapps.

More to come,

JLM

No comments:

Post a Comment