Monday, August 31, 2009

The Farewell Fete.

So, on Saturday night of my last weekend I accompanied some friends to a party to really celebrate the end of a term and a birthday. Fortunately, it also doubled quite nicely as a farewell get together. After arriving, we talked, enjoyed the beautiful weather out on their balcony and grilled copious amounts of meat on their barbeque, then ate and drank heartily. Early in the night we simply laughed and told some stories, mostly small talk. After it got dark though, the local Schnapps came out and we started really reminiscing about the last year. The Schnapps was interesting, sweet with a somewhat grassy flavor. Also, it was incredibly strong. It was a fitting way to depart, forging deeper friendships and reflecting on the struggles and successes of the past year. Plus, the local Schnapps claimed plenty of my brain cells in the name of Deutschland. In any case, my friends saw the time and dragged me out the door, then we caught the last tram to the train station. After orating for I really do not know how long about how much I love the violin, the train arrived and it was time to say goodbye. A quick hug and a wave goodbye was all I had as the doors slammed and they were whisked away to Cologne. I stumbled home and hobbled to bed. The last full night of sleep I would have in Bonn and the last time I would see my friends before departing. I was drunk, sad, and also happy ... until the next morning when I was mostly just sad. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment