Monday, August 31, 2009

My Last Day.

My last morning in Germany was spent mostly feeling that Schnapps should be a controlled substance. However, I managed to recover early enough to make it for one last lunch and afternoon with my host and his family. We ate, dodged and trapped wasps, went on a bike ride, had some cake and said goodbye. Despite the communication barrier, I think his kids (especially the youngest) really did enjoy my company. A handshake was of course the proper German goodbye, but it was unsatisfying in a way. They simply said they wished I could come again next week, which was more than enough to express how they were really feeling.

On my last night I met up somewhat randomly with an old friend from high school and have my last Jaegerschnitzel before leaving Bonn. This is the kind of friend where no matter how little you have talked in the past months or years, you always pick up right where you left off last time you saw each other. It was lovely to see her, drink a final beer (however painfully after the night before) with some close friends and fill my stomach with some hearty German fare for the last time in a while. It was subdued, relaxed, reflective. A perfect way to cap off the year and ease my nerves before going home to pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment