Monday, August 24, 2009

Making Up For Lost Time.

Since I only started this blog about 7 months ago, I figured it would be useful to go back and post some of the pictures I have taken from previous trips as a way to catch up. This week is going to get rather busy rather fast, so this seemed like a cheap way to keep some posts going as well. So, here is my first installment from way back in late November of 2008...


So, this weekend I took a train down to a town called Garmisch-Partenkirchen to meet my old friend ES (nee P) and her family. It was a great time exploring around and playing with their kids. We stayed in a US Military hotel called the Edelweiss (C is an officer and pilot in the Navy), so it was a little like sleeping in America and visiting Germany and Austria during the day. Of course, it was nice to turn on ESPN to check the score of the OU game Sunday morning. Ha. I had to bum off E and C within the gates of the hotel because they only took dollars!! Their daughter's names are K (3 years old) and P (5 months old). It was nice to see an old friend and play many games with her daughter. Today, we drove into Munich and though it was a bit nerve wracking finding my train station, I wound up running to the platform with just 1 minute to spare!!! Anyway, hopefully the pictures will tell the story but it was a great visit.
E with K (who is smiling!) after getting back in the car following our trip to Innsbruck, Austria. I of course left my camera in the car but Innsbruck was not terribly exciting, even though it has been home to two Winter Olympics. However, K got to ride both a real pony and a carousel pony, so it was still a success even though it was wet, cold and hazy all day! Chris also showed some mad skills handing the car on ice driving us all around.

The carousel, Christmas market and the mist covering the mountains as we left Innsbruck.
The view from our hotel room at the Edelweiss. There were two beds and a fold out couch for the five of us, but only one shower. So, we all slept comfortably but had some time to get going in the mornings.

C, E and K posing in our room with P hiding on the bed amongst her blankets. :) The day in Innsbruck was so hazy we came back to the hotel. C and I took K and P to the pool while E visited the spa.

Here is a clear view from the hotel.
On Sunday, we headed up to what we understood was the tallest peak in Germany or the Zugspitze. As we left I could not avoid this shot since it looks like the quintessential Alp.

E and K getting bundled up for the trip to the top. Fortunately they have a gondola, we were not preparing for a major hike. :)

P in her polar bear suit will make you friends instantly anywhere in the world.

C with his girls waiting for the train to the gondola.

E and me waiting for the train also. As you can see, I was on blanket duty.
E, C and P enjoying the view as we go up the mountain.

P seems to be wondering just what is in store for her on this trip.

A view from the point where you get off the train.
Some easy ski slopes with a rather interesting system of lifts.
K peering out the bottom window of the gondola up to the peak.
Mountains in the distance.

More gondola pics. I believe that is E's hand also getting the same photo.
Yours truly on the gondola.

The view from the top is pretty spectacular.

An amazing mountain lake visible from the peak.
Another lake shot.

Yet another.
What can I say ... I like lakes.

Here I am at the peak. It was -20 degrees C (~ -4 degrees F), so we quickly went in for lunch and warm drinks.

P going local.

E and K at lunch. After this, we went and had hot drinks and awesome chocolate cake before leaving the peak.
Everyone watching our new view from the larger gondola that goes ALL the way down the mountain.
P has to be the most laid back baby in history. Certainly the most laid back polar bear.

E on the gondola.
C and P warming up and resting after our trip to the top.
Scenes from our morning in Munich. This happened to be a nice building near where we parked.
Though it is being renovated, this is the rather impressive Frauenkirchen. I would have shots from inside but Mass was going on while we were there so I did not get to take any.

One of many gratuitous clock shots.

Crazy old tombstone.

Busy Munich area.

The Glockenspiel!!
More Glockenspiel aka another clock shot.
The moving pieces of the Glockenspiel.

The actual Munich town hall building.

This building was obviously really amazing to me. However, Bavaria was kind of an odd place. I liked it, but I think I like Western Germany a bit more.

E and I are both into clock shots.

Managed to get two clocks in this shot of old town Munich.

K really liked the fountain.

E and K posing by the fountain.

One more clock.

Extreme close up!!

The front of a museum.

A War Monument.
K enjoying a giant Christmas tree before we high tailed it back to the car and got to the Munich-Pasing train station just in time.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's us! That was such a great trip and I was so glad to get a chance to hang out with you in Germany. Really, I'm going to miss having you in Europe. I mean, I know Germany and Sicily aren't exactly close, but it felt like you were right around the corner all year. So yeah, next year, you, me, NYC and the Eloise tea...oh, and maybe we'll let the kids, Chris and Amber come too, if they're lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just tell me when and I'll see you there.

    ReplyDelete