Monday, June 1, 2009

The Sun.

Tonight, just a quick note about how crazy it is living this far north. I realize Scandinavians would scoff at my protest, but these summer days are killing me. By the time I am tired after the sun sets after 10, I sleep what feels like a few hours before my room is filled with light even with the curtains drawn. As I wake up to a fully lit room to see just what time it has become daylight, I am lucky if I have made it past 5 AM. Anyway, I have not slept more than 5-6 hours continuously, which used to not be a problem at all for me but now definitely takes a toll. Still, the days are beautiful here and rarely too warm, so I should not complain about such pleasant summer weather. Still, the sun here is crazy.

On a lighter note, just as it was interesting to watch the sun go through the sky differently in the Southern Hemisphere when I visited Australia, it is similarly interesting to observe the low angle the sun takes here. It is enjoyable to observe the differences and wonder if I would have been able to understand Earth's orientation towards the sun had I been born in an earlier era. Doubtful I would have been intelligent enough to consider the full dynamical system that would make such observations plausible.

2 comments:

  1. This might be a dumb question, but are you far enough north to see the northern lights? I got to see them on one of our fishing trips to Canada and they are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately not, as I would love to see the Northern Lights at least once in my life.

    ReplyDelete