Friday, March 27, 2009

How Time Flies...


So, a couple weeks ago my nephew turned one year old. I intended to write a post acknowledging this at the time but honestly was just not feeling much like blogging in general and certainly not up to addressing such a momentous occasion. I saw him via Skype, but it is difficult to fully appreciate the amount of change he has gone through in the brief time he has been on this earth. Sooner than I realize, he will be wandering about on his own two feet, speaking in coherent sentences, deciding what he likes and dislikes, and generally on his way to becoming the fully grown person he will be someday. My wish for him is that the sense of awe, wonder and curiosity we all experience so freely when we are young will never actually fade. Too often as adults we frame the world around us in the context of our preconceptions as opposed to letting our observations frame our conceptions. It is difficult to be such a fleeting presence in his life at this point, though hopefully I will get to spend more time with him later when I at least live on the same continent. Anyway, he seemed to have a great day full of cake, presents and play, and even though I doubt he will remember this one, I wish I could have been there.

No comments:

Post a Comment