Thursday, March 12, 2009

Fare thee well old friend.

This week I lost my only companion on this journey through Europe alone ... my umbrella. Knowing that Bonn was a bit of a wet, cold city during much of the year, on my third day here I went to a store and bought a sturdy, finely crafted wooden umbrella with a black canvas cover and dark green trim. It was a comfort during my first few weeks here and accompanied me, occasionally to great ridicule, everywhere I went. At times, it even came in handy for the purpose it had been designed, but mostly it was just always pleasant to hear the reassuring click of the umbrella tip moving in stride with my steps. I felt it suited me well and certainly provided some needed support as a walking stick. As my walks grew longer it occasionally provided a distraction by trying to time my step and stride such that the end would land exactly in the middle of the many cobblestones and concrete slabs lining the streets here. Eventually, it will be replaced but it will always be remembered.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't even been able to post a comment about this for weeks. It's too upsetting. I'm trying to remember the good times though. That terrible storm in Garmisch--I think your umbrella literally saved my children that day.

    ReplyDelete