Thursday, March 26, 2009

This is the winter of my discontent...

So, this winter clearly will never end. I honestly have a hard time believing the sun will ever again provide enough warmth to remove the deep chill instilled within me over the past 5 months. Each day the temperatures refuse to climb and the cold rain continues to fall. My skin longs for the warmth of direct sunlight and to shed the weight of winter layers. Each day I think perhaps Spring has finally arrived, I step outside to feel the chill in the air and watch the sky cloud over. As the flowers have started to bloom, I know in my mind my belief that Spring and Summer will never arrive cannot be true, but my heart tells me there is no hope to ever feel truly warm again. Honestly, I do not know how societies in these high latitudes have survived such a relentless force for so long each year over the course of generations and millenia.

1 comment:

  1. I remember this feeling from my first winter in Maine. It was still snowing when K was born, yes, at the end of April. I remember checking the lilac tree outside my window daily for signs of life. Then, finally, April gave way to May. The lilacs came and went; unexpected rhododendrums burst into bloom; there were birds again; everywhere, forests of green. It was a beautiful summer. Hopefully Germany will reward you so well!

    ReplyDelete