Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Statistical Physics

So, a long time ago in college a friend and I devised what we felt was an ingenious sociological theory based around the concept of entropy. Basically, we saw those around us constantly making choices to increase the amount of chaos and disorder in their lives. Eventually, I attempted to generalize this theory into my theory of convenience, which is also based around standard physical theory. Namely, that in the absence of external forces a system will naturally collapse to the state requiring the least amount of energy. In the end, order and harmony require more energy than the alternative.

Life really can be quite well described in terms of basic physical laws. Tonight in particular I am thinking about the conservation of momentum and energy. Over the last two weeks, I had my routine of working, reading and writing completely disrupted. Clearly at minimum there has been a major slowdown in my blog post output. I poured energy into different channels and now find myself struggling to even get started back along the path to productivity. It is somewhat difficult as many things at work are now in the hands of my collaborators, which is both a good time to rest and a good time to get some other things done if I can find the energy. However, different projects require different ways of thinking, different sources, different solutions, so even moving from project to project can feel like there is definitely a transition in the momentum of your thinking. Sadly, by changing directions it means inevitably there will be an instant where your mind is not moving at all. I particularly hate these empty sad moments where I feel I have lost the thing that most defines me, my wits. Slowly but surely however I am now regaining strength, clearing my head and building up energy.

This happens to me with walking as well. Sometimes if I am feeling particularly tired and worn down, I feel like I will never be able to make it to where I need to go. If I take a couple days off and finally rest my legs, when it comes time to go to work on Monday morning even though I have done the walk hundreds of times, the distance feels insurmountable. The first step is the hardest, but after that I find the load on my legs and back becomes lighter, my mind clears and before I know it, I am well on my way.

I am trying to get back to that point in all other walks of life as well. All I need is that first step, that small push to shift my momentum. Once you have that, it actually takes a great deal of energy to stop.

1 comment: