Sunday, April 5, 2009

Paris in a Day

So, since my friend C was visiting Paris for two weeks and could not make it to Bonn, I wound up making a quick trip there for the weekend. It was great to see him, meet his special lady friend, and orient myself in the city since I will be staying there for two weeks in June. All in all, I had about 36 hours to be fair, but I would still say we managed to do an impressive amount. We saw the towers of Notre Dame, the river Seine, the stained glass of Sainte Chapelle, the Mona Lisa and countless other treasures in the Louvre, and finished the night off with some amazing jazz in the basement of a little club. It was beautiful, enriching and everything Paris in Spring should be really. I will write more especially about the jazz later (the standing bass player and the pianist were absolutely inspired musicians), but for now, here are my pictures from the trip.


A view of I. M. Pei's pyramid through an archway, accentuating the scale of the project.

So, those of you who knew me in college will remember my fascination with a Eugene Delacroix painting called 'Landscape at Tangiers,' which is housed at the Louvre. Sadly, they did not have it on display, but I also found this work particularly beautiful.

A wing of the Louvre.

More Louvre from the outside.

The city from in front of the Louvre.

Entering the Louvre. Can you feel my excitement building??

The pyramid from a distance.

How would Colbert feel knowing people were being educated and inspired in his name? Ha.

A clock on the Louvre.

Clock close-up.

The awe inspiring glass and domed ceiling of Sainte Chapelle, built in 1248.


C & K enjoying the space.

Fleur de Lys and royal French blue.

One could really strain their neck rather easily in this place ... someone call a lawyer!

No one really does opulence like the French.

One of the many unbelievable stained glass windows and intricate altars. The picture really does not do the colors justice.

More spectacular windows.

Another one. Again, the camera just cannot capture the experience.






As you can see, I tried to capture the light from all angles.

C & K walking towards the Palace of Justice, hoping they will be spared the guillatine.

The gardens around Notre Dame.

A spire and I believe some flying buttresses at Notre Dame, though I could be wrong.

The very famous front of Notre Dame.

No Philipe Petit today.

C & K at the river Seine.

The many bridges over the Seine.

A fork in the river.

Yet another clock, this one at the Hotel de Ville I believe.

The Hotel de Ville itself.

Just some beautiful fresh flowers blooming in the hallway of C's sister's apartment building.

C & K were ready with wine, cheese and chocolate for my arrival. They had read my mind.

That vaguely tower shaped thing glowing through the haze in the distance is the Eiffel Tower.

1 comment: