Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Makioka Sisters.

So, I started this book just a bit before I left Germany and shamefully it has taken me this long to get through this 500+ page slog of a novel. On the plus side, it definitely gave me a glimpse into some very traditional aspects of Japanese culture (I particularly enjoyed the haikus written or quoted throughout) and particularly portrayed interestingly how regular citizens in the Axis felt leading up to World War II. However, though at times I liked the characters, I had a hard time connecting with them deeply. For instance, just after we found out Taeko had escaped the massive flood, I put the book down for 3 or 4 days without really being bothered by how she had survived that whole time. Perhaps this is a cultural issue, perhaps it is a class issue, perhaps it is a generational issue, but the problems they felt most difficult in their lives were a challenge to care about towards the end. In truth, if there had been one more miai gone wrong, I would have just not finished the book. Still, I did appreciate the insight into another culture, which is why a friend recommended it in the first place, so in that regard it was a success. But come on, can we at least agree the ending is rather unsatisfying. After all that, Taeko's baby dies and we do not even see Yukiko through being married?? I was both glad it was over and a bit angry we did not get at least to know if all the failed attempts had been worth it at finding a successful match. Not to mention, the war was just escalating and transitioning into the way it impacted the family and Japan as a whole would be a rather fascinating sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment