Thursday, October 15, 2009

Austin City Limits.

So, last night I arrived safely in Austin and stayed at my cousin D's house right in the heart of downtown. Unfortunately she has to travel for work today, so I only get to hang out with her for one night. It was also nice to meet her Beagle named Barney, who I had never had the pleasure of knowing until last night when we shared a bit of my late dinner.

Speaking of which, if you will allow me to digress ... if a flight goes from 7:00 PM until 11:00 PM, give us something more than some tiny pretzels. I had thought I saw Continental adds saying they still served food on flights, but I must have been wrong. Oh, and also, if you are someone who puts on an eye cover and brings 2 fluffy pillows to sleep on for an entire flight ... get a window seat. Some people on the interior might need a kleenex or glass of water at some point people.

But I digress. Today I will have breakfast with my cousin, then hang out at the UT math department before giving my talk at 3:30 PM. Then, tonight I get to have some good Austin Mexican food with some friends and colleagues before heading to Waco in the morning. Plus, I have my camera and hope to take some good photos of the city to post sometime soon.

It seems I will have an old friend and true Cretan to keep me company on my drive, which I will certainly appreciate given that I have not really driven a car very much over the last 2 years and there will be many insane college students heading to the OU-Texas game on the same road. Speaking of which, I was thinking of thanking the organizers for inviting me so deep into enemy territory to give a talk, but feel like the joke could work better. Any suggestions?

Regarding my budding illness, I still feel fine physically, but definitely have some nasty stuff happening in my sinuses. This worries me a bit about visiting my great aunt in Dallas, who is undergoing chemo. I do not want her to get sick with her weakened immune system. I will have to play it by ear I suppose, but hopefully the warmer, drier air here will help clear out my problem. Of course, that could be the medical practices from the Makioka Sisters talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment