Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Night.

Tonight after work I walked the 40 minutes or so from my hotel to downtown Bilbao in order to meet some other people from the Basque Center for Applied Mathematics for dinner at a traditional cider house. The food was great and the local cider delicious, but for me it was all about the walk. The night was cool with a subtle sweetness from the hint of salt in the air blowing in from the sea. The river flowing through the town was shimmering beautifully from the soft lights coming off the many bridges and buildings. The architecture blended modern and ancient into a rather beautiful, serene landscape. The night was dry and cool, and many people were out near the river to exercise or simply walk with their families. It made me feel at peace ... at home. At least as though this was the kind of night I hope my eventual home has once in a while.

1 comment:

  1. I am just taking a stab in the dark here, but I would have to say that you are enjoying your trip very much so far. Correct? I would also have to say that I am jealous. Seeing that I have never left the US (besides fishing trips just north of the US border) and I have never been west past Colorado or north past North Carolina! Can't wait for the pictures that are to come.

    ReplyDelete