Friday, February 20, 2009

Exhaustion and Insomnia

So, after a long week I found myself unable to keep my eyes open by 9:30 PM this evening. I reluctantly threw myself into bed and fell into an incredibly deep sleep. At some point, I began having a rather vivid dream of living in some mostly aqueous world where to prove myself to the elders I had to swim the full length of the treacherous ocean and back. However, swimming was something I could do amazingly well, so I made tremendous progress and dove to great depths. Through my swim I encountered mostly beautiful, powerful weather systems and amazing, swirling mixes of blues and greens. Surprisingly enough however, I remember very few creatures. Somehow through all this, I briefly gained the ability to fly, and while swooping through clouds and skimming the surface of the ocean was exhilarating, apparently it was against the rules and I was forced to swim the remainder of the way with the swimming abilities I have in reality. Sadly, this meant I struggled against the current long enough to feel miserable before I woke up and the world I had been in was gone forever.

I woke up feeling pretty rested, so I pulled myself out of bed, went to the restroom, then turned on my computer to learn it was 3:30 AM. One should be aware of two things I suppose. The first is that I have no clocks in my apartment save those attached to my computer, iPod or portable phone. Meaning, I have to get up and turn something on to figure out the time. Secondly, it has been rather hazy and overcast here, so even though the days are getting longer it can still be rather dark at 7 AM. Anyway, so here I am at 5 AM making a blog post, considering going back to bed for a bit after wasting time listening to podcasts, checking e-mail, reading news articles and watching some of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, which is in fact rather funny as I am not surprised given the person who recommended it to me. Anyway, I wish you all a better night's sleep than I have had, as well as more restful dreams. Well, at least dreams with more pleasant endings.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a rough night. I've been doing the same thing--waking up rested at odd hours and then being exhausted all day--only all I ever seem to dream about are children's characters. I'm Tinker Bell chasing Wendy when suddenly Captain Hook appears and captures me in a bag. There is, as you can see, only a thin line between my waking life and my dreams. I'd take powerful weather systems and swirling colors any day. Hope you get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney always gives me a hard time for not remembering my dreams. But, I did in fact have one the other night, somewhat odd like yours. I was wondering around this department store, but its design was not that of a normal department store. It was almost like some figure you would see at an art museum. Anyways, I was stuck in this department store for an entire day looking for the box to my watch. I thought that was really weird, seeing that I know exactly where that particular box is!! Dreams are weird!!!

    ReplyDelete