Saturday, September 5, 2009

Number 9 Dream

I finished this somewhat existentialist, somewhat stream of consciousness, somewhat violent action romp, somewhat mystery, somewhat romance, somewhat coming of age novel last night on the subway going to meet up with two good friends from New York. I definitely enjoyed this novel, the rich imagery and deep personal insights, clever stories within the story and intricately structured dream worlds, though I was a bit nonplussed with the non-ending if you will. Of course, it was befitting the theme and did leave me thinking quite a bit, I suppose I am just in the mood for resolution right now. Still, I could not put this book down this week and highly recommend it especially as subway reading. The novel is crafted in these small, occasionally slightly disjoint sections, meaning it is perfect for people who sit down to read in short bursts.

Another aspect of this novel is that despite being set in a bustling Tokyo and a damp, rural Kyushu, the author is not Japanese. I found much in common with the way the main character perceived the world around him and his experiences within that world, but wonder if this qualifies as branching away from my Eurocentric literary perspective. It seemed to capture some aspects of the Japanese literature and culture I have had a bit of interaction with to this point, but I am somewhat fascinated by an outsider taking an insider's view of another culture. I would like to know both the outsider's perspective on the experience as well as an insider's response. Sadly, I have neither, but did enjoy the read.

1 comment:

  1. I read this book one time on a plane and I've always meant to read it again. I liked it, but felt like I might have missed something. Your description sounds like how I felt: pleased, but also slightly disappointed. Maybe one day I'll pick it up again. At any rate, I'm always glad to hear about what you're reading!

    ReplyDelete