Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Everyman

While my second loaf of buttermilk bread is coming together, I figured I would write about the book I just finished, namely Everyman by Phillip Roth. This is my first Roth novel, and he is certainly gifted at concisely capturing the emotions one feels in various parts of their life. Death is the central theme here, and the character relives his greatest triumphs and tragedies, moments of extreme virility and tremendous frailty. It is a life both well led and full of hurtful acts and regrets. Though this man was perhaps too old for me to fully understand his reaction to things like the terrorist acts of 9/11 and a loss of one's former perceived glory, but it was a captivating perspective on death and dying. As I think about death more than I care to admit, I did appreciate the read and particularly will come back to this book for the words to express the way I am feeling when I eventually lose those I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment